I am in Port Elizabeth, volunteering on a game reserve!
Highlights from Day 1:
– tracking a cheetah using a radio signal, but not actually seeing the cheetah
– coming across a herd (family? Group?) Of giraffes that sort of had this effect:
– helping a tortoise get right away up
– discovering that the toilet I’m using doesn’t have a toilet seat (very jarring discovery), deciding to be a diva and mention it (a new seat is coming tomorrow and people wonder why the last two volunteers didn’t complain)
– hearing stories of the “young” volunteers who arrive at the age of 19, don’t know how to boil an egg, want to party even though they signed up for an assignment in a game reserve and who generally want to take selfies with dangerous animals. Luckily no one has used the term “millennial” yet. Some young ones arrive over the weekend, fingers crossed
– discovering that there is hot water for the showers! Discovering that there is no cold water for the showers, getting a mild scalp burn in attempt to de-dust my hair